Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #65: 1983-85 TV Seasons

10 Groovy Things to Do in October

Where the Bears Are is worth watching

72 Groovy Things about Madeline Kahn

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Remembering Eydie Gorme 1928 - 2013



On Sunday, October 4, 1998, I experienced Steve & Eydie in concert at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Indiana - and I still have the ticket stub to prove it. The evening, of course, was a total delight from start to finish, and I count myself as lucky to have seen them perform together before she retired in 2009. Sadly, Eydie Gorme died Saturday at age 84 - and below you can enjoy some of her memorable musical performances.

Eydie first became famous when she and her future husband, Steve Lawrence, were both hired as regulars on the original Tonight Show in 1953. The couple were married in Las Vegas on December 29, 1957, and they later had two sons.

Eydie's single, "Blame It on the Bossa Nova", reached #7 on Billboard's Hot 100 Chart in March 1963.



Here is a non-musical appearance by Eydie as the Mystery Guest and Steve as a guest panelist on the game show, What's My Line?, on September 29, 1963.



She sings "I Wanna Be Around" on The Tonight Show in 1966.



She sings "What Did I Have That I Don't Have?" from On a Clear Day You Can See Forever in 1966.



She sings "If He Walked Into My Life" from Mame, for which she won a Grammy Award for Best Female Vocal Performance in 1967.



Steve and Eydie are the co-hosts of The Hollywood Palace on November 14, 1967, and they sing "I Believe in You", two songs from their 1968 Broadway musical, Golden Rainbow - "How Could I Be So Wrong?" and "I've Gotta Be Me" - and a medley of Broadway songs, including "Walking Happy" and "Cabaret".





She sings "As Long As He Needs Me" from Oliver! in 1969.



She sings "Tonight I'll Say a Prayer" in 1970.



Eydie performs on The Carol Burnett Show on February 23, 1974, and February 12, 1977.





She sings "When Your Lover Has Gone" on The Tonight Show on January 17, 1975.



The television special, Steve and Eydie: Our Love Is Here To Stay, originally aired on November 27, 1975.




The television special, Steve & Eydie Celebrate Irving Berlin, originally aired on August 22, 1978.



Steve and Eydie perform in Toyko on March 31, 1988.




And, finally, here are two of my favorite songs by Steve and Eydie - the title tune from their 1964 Christmas album, That Holiday Feeling!, and "Mame" from their 1967 album, Steve & Eydie Together On Broadway.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While the news is sad that Hollywood Medley with Carol Burnett easily earns this post one groovalicous from me.

Marc said...

Thanks for the groovalicious vote, Anonymous!