Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #51: 2002-03 TV Season

10 Groovy Things to Do in August starring Steve Grand

Groovy Guy of the Month: Robert Rodi

The Top 114 Groovy Gay Movies to Watch in 2014

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Grooviest Music of 2012



I featured a lot of groovy music on DEEP DISH in 2012, and below I've selected my favorites of the year in order of preference (click on a name for more info):

11) Wrong Direction's "Disclosure"
This anti-Romney parody based on One Direction's hit song, "What Makes You Beautiful", was written and produced by Full Frontal Freedom a coalition of independent artists and media executives using their talent and creativity to raise awareness and enhance civil discourse. And it certainly doesn't hurt to have the adorable Colby Melvin and four other hunks in the video.



10) Tom Goss
For the third year in a row this talented singer-songwriter has made my list. In October he released a "revealing" new music video of his song, "Make Believe", which is available on his album, Turn It Around.



9) Mary Edwards
This year singer-songwriter Mary Edwards released a new album, Eastern/Central & Mountain/Pacific, which just puts me in a groovy mood.


8) Andrea Marcovicci
In July this lovely lady returned to Davenport's Piano Bar & Cabaret in Chicago to make me smile with her cabaret show called Smile.



7) Karen Mason
It's always a great pleasure to see this fabulous lady, who performed her show, The Secrets of the Ancient Divas, at Davenport's in June. Below you can listen to her sing "Downtown/I Know a Place" from her 2001 album, When the Sun Comes Out.



6) P!nk
I know she's been performing for many years, but I didn't become a fan until I heard "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)", the first single from her sixth studio album, The Truth About Love.



5) Cheyenne Jackson
I love this gorgeous guy's new music video of "Don't Wanna Know", the catchy third single from his upcoming 2013 album.



4) Liz & Ann Hampton Callaway
These incredibly talented sisters performed their wonderful show, BOOM!, in Skokie in April.



3) Generationals
I discovered this American indie rock duo while having lunch at Chipolte, where I heard their song, "When They Fight, They Fight", from their 2009 debut album, Con Law.



2) Will & Anthony Nunziata
In August this amazingly talented twin duo brought their show, Broadway, Our Way, to Davenport's in Chicago, and it was a memorable evening of songs and laughter (click here to read my interview with them).



1) Rumer
My favorite live performance of 2012 was by this British singer/songwriter, who performed at Chicago's Lincoln Hall in February. She has been compared to Karen Carpenter and Carole King, and I get a Dusty Springfield vibe from her soulful voice. You can judge for yourself while watching her music video of "Am I Forgiven?" from her critically acclaimed debut album, Seasons of My Soul. You can also listen to her cover of John Sebastian's 1976 hit, "Welcome Back", which was the theme song of the sitcom, Welcome Back, Kotter.


No comments: