Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #45: 1973-74 TV Season

10 Groovy Things to Do in July

Groovy Guy of the Month: Matt Palazzolo

The Top 114 Groovy Gay Movies to Watch in 2014

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Deeper Dish with Nick Adams



Nick Adams is one hot and hunky "Broadway Baby". The openly gay 27-year-old actor has been performing on the Great White Way since 2006 when he joined the Broadway cast of the musical, Chicago, as the "Mary Sunshine" standby. Since then he has appeared in The Pirate Queen, A Chorus Line, Guys and Dolls and as one of the "Cagelles" in the Tony Award-winning revival of La Cage aux Folles. Nick first gained attention for his mighty fine physique during his Chorus Line days, which soon led to a modeling gig with 2(x)ist underwear. The New York Post even hailed him as having "the best abs and biceps on Broadway".

And now this talented young man is starring in his most prominent role to date as one of the lead drag queens - Felicia Jollygoodfellow (Adam) - in the new musical, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, which is currently in previews at Broadway's Palace Theatre. I am so delighted that Nick was able to take a break from his fabulous world of sequins, heels and wigs to be here on the Dish to discuss his career and answer a few pop culture questions.

Photo Credit: Joan Marcus
Let’s begin with Priscilla Queen of the Desert. How did you get the role of Adam/Felicia?
My agents called me about this audition. I had never seen the film so I got my hands on the script and bought the DVD. I knew right away that I wanted to bring this character to life. I went in and was originally cast to cover the role. Months went by and I was performing in La Cage on Broadway and the creatives came to see the show and asked me to come back in to audition to actually play the role. A few weeks later I got the job.

Are there any significant changes from the 1994 movie in the new musical version?
I find the stage version to be more celebratory. You leave the theatre feeling great. It's a bit more uplifting than the movie. Also, instead of being ABBA-obsessed like in the film, my character Adam has a love for Madonna.

What is your favorite scene and/or song in the musical?
It's a tough call, but I love "Like a Prayer". It's at the end of the show and is my "11 o'clock" number. I get to be on a bare stage by myself in a spotlight. I also love singing "We Belong" with my co-stars at the end of the night. It's our last moment together and really nails home the message of the show.





Did you always want to be an actor? And what was your very first stage performance?
Yes. From the time I was nine and understood that I could do this as a profession. The first show I was in was Once Upon a Mattress - I played the Jester.

How would you describe your experience in the 2007 Broadway musical, The Pirate Queen, which closed after only 85 performances?
It was one of the best years of my life. I made some of my best friends in that production, and it was an incredible life experience. It truly was an amazing journey of ups and downs. I was so new to Broadway at that point and so bias that I had a hard time accepting that it wouldn't be successful. I stayed optimistic until the very end. It's hard sometimes to be able to step outside of something you helped create.

So what really happened between you and your Chorus Line co-star, Mario Lopez? Is it true that he asked you to cover up your muscular physique in the show?
I love Mario. We laugh about the entire thing. I did have my costume changed to cover up my body when he joined the show but shortly after that was implemented, I was modeling for the underwear line. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion and I forget that it even happened.

What is your workout routine for achieving the "best abs and biceps on Broadway"?
I feel like whatever show I am in is always the greatest workout. I do go to the gym every day to meet the demands of whatever project I am working on.






Is there a role in any musical or play that you would love to do someday?
Yes. This one.

Did you enjoy your appearances on the daytime soap operas, As the World Turns and Guiding Light? And are you a soap fan?
I had a great time. Doing soaps is so much different than doing live theatre. I have to admit that the only soaps I've watched are the episodes I've appeared in.

What are a few of your favorite things to do in New York City?
Eat. I love the variety of restaurants in New York and I love food. Central Park is gorgeous. I also love to shop for furniture at thrift and vintage stores here.




In high school I was:
Skinny.

My favorite comfort food is:
Burgers.

When I was growing up, I never missed a television episode of:
The Golden Girls.

Today I never miss a television episode of:
I don't watch TV.

If I could go back in time and see any Broadway show, I would see:
The original A Chorus Line.

If I was stranded on a desert island for a year, I would want to listen to:
Stephanie Block, Sutton Foster, Audra McDonald, Eva Cassidy and Britney Spears.

Three of my favorite movies are:
Death Becomes Her, The War of the Roses and Billy Elliot.

If I was asked to choose the Sexiest Man Alive (besides my boyfriend), it would be:
Kellan Lutz.

If I could have anyone in the world – living or dead – be a guest at my dinner party, I would invite the following people:
My grandmother whom I never met, Gene Kelly and Britney Spears.




What's next for Nick Adams?
Onward and upward! It's my party.

Thank you, Nick, for getting Deeper with us here on the Dish. To learn more about Nick Adams, check out his website, nickadams.biz, and his blog, thenickadams.blogspot.com. You can also become a Facebook fan or follow him on Twitter. And for tickets to Broadway's Priscilla Queen of the Desert, which opens on March 20, go to www.priscillaonbroadway.com.

2 comments:

becca said...

what a wonderful Q&A post loved it and love getting to know nick adams thank you

Marc said...

Thanks, Becca, I'm so glad you loved the interview.