Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #64: 1997-99 TV Seasons

10 Groovy Things to Do in October

Where the Bears Are is worth watching

72 Groovy Things about Madeline Kahn

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Deeper Dish with Yehonathan



Yehonathan is coming to America. That's right, folks, the gorgeous gay Israeli singer/songwriter will be touring the United States beginning in June, and I'm sure he will be winning over many hearts. The talented young man began his career in Israel in 2000 when his first album made him a teen heartthrob. However, it wasn't until 2006 when he released his first single from a new album - a gay love song called "Kore Lecha" (Hebrew for "Calling You") - that he officially came out to his fans. The video version of the tune went to the top of the charts in Israel, and the following year his song, "On A Hot Summer Night", became a huge dance club hit and was named "one of the top 10 gay videos of all time" by DNA Magazine. Then in 2008, Yehonathan starred as a sexually-charged gay man on the provocative Israeli TV drama, The Ran Quartet, gaining even more fans, and last year he released his first full-length English album, My Turn.  I am delighted to have Yehonathan (whose last name is "Gatro" in case you're wondering) here on the Dish to discuss his career and his brand new CD, Remember When (which is being released today) - and, of course, answer a few pop culture questions.



Let's begin with Remember When. What was your inspiration for the CD?
I always wanted to make a dance album that was from start to finish dance, with no ballads in between. I could say that Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor was a huge inspiration for me. I took a lot of my previous work and added several new ones and gave all the songs a new sound. I'm very proud of the outcome. I worked with several major DJs on this album, and it is truly a group effort.

What is your favorite song on My Turn?
I consider all of my songs as my babies - I love them all, but if I had to choose one I'd say "Heaven" since it is dedicated to my beloved mother.




Let's discuss The Ran Quartet, which was about a group of gay men. What made the TV series so "controversial" and "provocative"?
I think the show's producers were really brave to film very erotic scenes between us guys, and for Israeli television that was very refreshing and daring. I think it was the first time on TV here that a gay threesome was aired on prime time.

Can you tell us more about Nadav, the character you played? And did you have any "controversial" scenes?
Nadav is your typical gay 20-something guy. He's into partying hard and turning heads. He's quite bitchy and doesn't mind ruining a perfectly happy relationship. The couple ends up in bed with him, and he ends up with one of the guys, while the other guy is left with a broken heart.




You were once a teen idol superstar. If you could go back and give your younger self a wise piece of advice, what would it be?
I'd tell myself to come out of the closet way sooner and stop pretending to be something I was not - straight! I'd also tell myself to care more for the music and content than to appearance and styling. I was a spoiled brat!

If you could spend an entire day in Tel Aviv on the perfect date, what would you and your date do from beginning to end?
I haven't had a date in so long I can't even imagine what we'd do together - but if I had to come up with the perfect date, it would start with a nice walk along the beach, dinner in a non-fancy restaurant and perhaps afterwards grab some ice cream for dessert in an ice cream/gelato place. I would walk the guy to his car and kiss him goodnight. I certainly wouldn't go to bed with him on the first date - unless I didn't like him (lol).

Are there any particular places that you would love to visit when you come to the United States in June?
I'd love to visit L.A. again. I've not been there since I used to live in West Hollywood six years ago. It would be great to see my friends there. Also, I'd love to come to Florida and New York - for obvious gay reasons.

My favorite comfort food is:
Ice cream. Hands down.

The last good book I read was:
Hebrew astrology. Don't ask!

If I was stranded on a desert island for a year, I would want to listen to:
Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, The Piano soundtrack, The Hours soundtrack, and Lyrik and myself.

Five of my favorite movies are:
The Silence of the Lambs, The Piano, Terms of Endearment, The Color Purple and The Goonies (my childhood nostalgic pic).

If I was asked to choose the Sexiest Man Alive, it would be:
My future husband - but I can't tell you at this point who he is.

If I could have anyone in the world - living or dead - be a guest at my dinner party, I would invite the following three people:
My mother, grandmother and grandfather.  I miss them all so much.



Now let's jump ahead five years and predict the future: where will you be and what will you be doing?
Hopefully I'll be touring, and I will have my husband and our three children with me - and Lyrik, my best friend and musical producer.

Thank you, Yehonathan, for getting Deeper with us here on the Dish. To learn more about the man and his music, check out his website at yehonathan.com and his YouTube channel. You can also become a Facebook fan or follow him on Twitter.

1 comment:

Tom G said...

It's beyond me why techno is still so popular among the bar crowd.