Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #51: 2002-03 TV Season

10 Groovy Things to Do in September starring Spencer Day

Groovy Guy of the Month: Robert Rodi

Check out Chicago's LGBT Film Festival Sept. 18-25

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Deeper Dish with Jeffery Self


For someone who will only be turning 23 in a few weeks, Jeffery Self has accomplished a helluva lot in his life: With his comedy-writing partner, Cole Escola, he starred in a series of wonderfully wacky YouTube videos as the VGL (Very Good Looking) Gay Boys, which then led to their current TV series, Jeffery & Cole Casserole, on the LOGO channel. The talented guy has also written and performed two one-man shows, My Life on the Craigslist and People I Slept With Who Never Called Me Back, and last month he made an amusing appearance on TV's 30 Rock as Liz Lemon's gay cousin, Randy. So I am delighted that Jeffery found some time from his busy schedule to be here on the Dish to discuss his career and answer a few pop culture questions.

Let's begin with your recent appearance on 30 Rock. How did you get cast in the role of Randy Lemon? And what did you enjoy most about working on the show?
I got 30 Rock from an audition. It was totally one of the coolest experiences I've had so far. First of all, TV is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world...totally obsessed with sitcoms and 30 Rock is one of my favorite shows on TV today. So to all of a sudden wake up one day and get to go to Liz Lemon's apartment and work face-to-face with Tina Fey was mind-blowing, crazy, surreal, thrilling, and one of the coolest things to ever happen to me.

Will we be seeing more of Randy in the future?
I think that'd be pretty cool and I know my Mom would, too.



How did you meet Cole Escola? And what inspired you guys to create the VGL (Very Good Looking) Gay Boys?
Cole and I met through mutual friends at various parties and what not. I always thought he was super funny and interesting, but we never really bonded until I had this idea for a play that I thought we could write together, and from there we started hanging out at my apartment, being bored, and making YouTube videos in between stalking people on Facebook or Googling Julia Duffy...over time the videos evolved into something.

What has been your favorite comedy sketch that you and Cole have written?
I am most proud of the scripts we've written. I love a lot of the three-part storylines on Jeffery & Cole Casserole - like the wrapping paper story or when we convince people that Becky has MS. I also really liked a YouTube video we recently made called "The Turtle".





Since you enjoy writing sitcom fan fiction on your blog - if you could go back in time and write for any television show in history, which one would you choose?
WOW! That's the coolest question ever!!!!!! My first impulse is to say Roseanne because it's one of my favorites. So I'll go with that, but it's truly like having to pick a favorite kind of cupcake.

What is your favorite thing about living in New York City?
I like being able to walk out my door when I'm bored and go on a walk around one of the world's most famous cities. That's pretty cool.

What do you think Goldie Hawn is doing right now (click here to read Jeffery's recent blog post about Goldie)?
It's 6:30 pm so I'm gonna assume watching a Friends rerun on TBS.





In high school I was:
Home-schooled (by choice)

My favorite casserole is:
My Mom's sweet potato casserole. It's got pecans on top!

The last good book I read was:
I just finished A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius this week. It's super good, but I guess the Pulitzer Prize people already told folks that in the nineties.

If I could be part of any TV family in history, I would choose:
I suppose being one of the kids on The Nanny would be cool because you'd have all that money to spend. The Brady Bunch were a pretty nice clan of folks, too. Bob Newhart didn't have a kid on his show, but I think he would've made a good dad.

When I was growing up, I never missed a television episode of:
Will & Grace, The Golden Girls (reruns), Dharma & Greg, Spin City, Friends, The Drew Carey Show, Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place, Clarissa Explains It All, and Norm.

Today I never miss a television episode of: The View...and it's not TV but Rosie Radio on Sirius XM is AMAZING.

If I could go back in time and see any Broadway show, I would see:
I usually say Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Elaine Stritch for this.

Five movies that I think everyone should be required to watch are:
Death Becomes Her, She-Devil, Jaws, The Shining, The First Wives Club



If I was asked to choose the Sexiest Man Alive, it would be:
Either Ashton Kutcher or David Letterman.

If I could have anyone in the world--living or dead--be a guest at my dinner party, I would invite the following three people:
That's tough...Rosie O'Donnell, Elizabeth Montgomery and Norman Lear.



What's next for Jeffery Self?
Hoping to do a new season of Jeffery & Cole Casserole, and I'd really like to play an unlikely TV Dad.

Thank you, Jeffery, for getting Deeper with us here on the Dish. To learn more about Jeffery Self, check out his groovy blog, JefferySelf.com, and his YouTube channel. You can also follow him on Twitter and become a Facebook fan of Jeffery & Cole Casserole.

1 comment:

Ralph Jones said...

I have been following you on YouTube for sometime and time and time again you guys come out with another great show. Keep up the great work! craigslist posting service