Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #49: 1968-69 TV Season

10 Groovy Things to Do in August starring Steve Grand

Groovy Guy of the Month: Robert Rodi

The Top 114 Groovy Gay Movies to Watch in 2014

Thursday, August 20, 2009

How Sweet It Is! (when they release groovy films on DVD)




Back in December I posted my Movies on DVD Wish List of 61 films that I would love to see released on DVD. Then last March I blogged about the new Warner Bros. Film Archive, in which a person can order an "on demand" custom-made DVD of a movie in the studio's library not currently available on disc. I ordered a few flicks and was quite pleased with them, and now Warner Bros. has released--or will be releasing--three of my cinematic wishes:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973): A TV horror flick starring Kim Darby and Jim Hutton (Timothy's father).

Freebie and the Bean (1974): The first R-rated movie I ever saw, starring James Caan, Alan Arkin and Valerie Harper.

Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? (1978): A fun comedy with George Segal and Jacqueline Bisset.

Here are some other groovy and obscure films that might interest you:

Any Wednesday (1966), a comedy with Jason Robards, Jane Fonda and Dean Jones.

Bad Ronald (1974), a TV movie starring Scott Jacoby, Dabney Coleman and Kim Hunter.

Carny
(1980), a drama with Jodie Foster and Gary Busey.



The Fox (1967), a drama starring Sandy Dennis and Keir Dullea.

Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972), a comedy directed by Brian De Palma and starring Tom Smothers, Orson Welles and Katharine Ross.



Hot Millions (1968), a comedy starring Peter Ustinov, Maggie Smith and Bob Newhart.

How Sweet It Is! (1968), a comedy that I've always loved with the delightful Debbie Reynolds, the handsome James Garner and the sassy Paul Lynde.

Kisses for My President
(1964), a comedy starring Polly Bergen as the first female President and Fred MacMurray as her husband.

A Majority of One (1961), a comedy starring Rosalind Russell and Alec Guinness.

Mary, Mary (1963), a comedy starring Debbie Reynolds.

Never Too Late (1965), a comedy starring Connie Stevens and Jim Hutton.

Not with My Wife, You Don't! (1966), a comedy with Tony Curtis and George C. Scott.

Reckless
(1984), a drama starring Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah.



There are many other films available, but these are the ones that caught my eye. My only complaint is that most of the movies cost $19.95, which is kind of expensive in my opinion. If they were about five bucks cheaper, I would probably be a more frequent WB Archive shopper. But it's still great that the studio is releasing all these films--and I urge everyone to sign up for their newsletter because they do offer special discounts occasionally. Click here to go to their website.

3 comments:

Ajax All Purpose said...

THIS IS REALLY GOOD NEWS!
How Sweet It Is looks amazing, from your description and I think I may have seen "Carny" on TV a million years ago. I can't wait to hear your reviews of the films on DVD (meaning their extras and remastering). Take Care! --Christian Montone

Deep Dish said...

Hey, Christian, with these Warner Bros. Archive Films, the only extras might be an old trailer. The studio isn't spending much money on the project. It's just an easy way for them to produce fairly cheap DVDs so people can see and own the films. It's not a perfect plan, but it's better than nothing.

IAmATVJunkie said...

I was waiting for you to mention Foxes (1980) starring Jodie Foster, Scott Baio, Sally Kellerman, Cherie Currie from The Runaways, and this young actress named Kandice Stroh who I was really sure was gonna become a big star and probably would have been part of the Rat Pack if she'd come along just five years later.

It's really worth putting on your Netflix queue or looking for on cable, I see it sometimes on the Showtime schedule.