Hot Dish
(click on pic to read more)

Invite your favorite hunks to the DEEP DISH Pool Party!

Battle of the Network Stars #70: 2009-11 TV Seasons

10 Groovy Things to Do in November

Where the Bears Are is worth watching

72 Groovy Things about Madeline Kahn

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Movies on DVD Wish List (Updated)


On Tuesday I posted my wish list of films that I would love to see released on DVD. Some of them I've loved forever; others I'm just curious to see after hearing about them. Having received some fabulous movie recommendations from readers, I am now updating my list with many more cinematic wishes (I've narrowed it down to only 61 flicks). Please continue to post your own wish lists--and in the future I will keep you posted if any of my films finally arrive on DVD.

Act One (1963): I love this autobiography by playwright Moss Hart, so I'm curious to see the film with George Hamilton and Jason Robards.

At Long Last Love (1975): Peter Bogdanovich's infamous flop musical comedy starring Burt Reynolds, Cybill Shepherd, Madeline Kahn and Eileen Brennan.

The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom (1968): One of my favorite Shirley MacLaine films.

The Boy Friend (1971): Twiggy, Tommy Tune, Glenda Jackson in a musical--I'm so there.

Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness? (1969): Anthony Newley wrote, directed and starred in this flick, which features Joan Collins playing a character named Polyester Poontang. I have to see this film--good or bad--someday.

Chapter Two (1980): I always liked this Neil Simon movie starring Marsha Mason, James Caan and Valerie Harper.

Coffee, Tea or Me? (1973): A fun TV-movie with Karen Valentine as a stewardess juggling two husbands--one in Los Angeles, the other in London.

Cold Turkey (1971): Norman Lear's dark comedy is hysterical. The excellent cast includes Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Tom Poston, Jean Stapleton, Barnard Hughes and Pippa Scott.

Come Back to the Five & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982): Starring Cher, Sandy Dennis, Karen Black and Kathy Bates and directed by the great Robert Altman, it boggles my mind why this movie isn't on DVD.

Compromising Positions (1985): I like this comedy-mystery starring Susan Sarandon, Raul Julia and Judith Ivey.

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate (1971): Made-for-TV film starring Helen Hayes, Myrna Loy, Mildred Natwick and Sylvia Sidney.

Doctors' Wives (1971): I'm a sucker for a trashy, campy Dyan Cannon film--and this one also stars Gene Hackman and Carroll O'Connor.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973): I always liked Kim Darby, who stars in this horror flick.

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972): Paul Newman directed his wife, Joanne Woodward, in this effective drama.

Finnegan Begin Again (1985): Mary Tyler Moore and Robert Preston are wonderful in this sweet romantic comedy.

The Flim-Flam Man (1967): I haven't seen this film since I was a kid, but I remember enjoying the performances of George C. Scott, Michael Sarrazin and Sue Lyon.

For Ladies Only (1981): Gregory Harrison and Marc Singer play hunky strippers in this memorable TV movie.

Freebie and the Bean (1974): The first R-rated movie I ever saw, starring Alan Arkin, James Caan and Valerie Harper. It's raunchy, funny and violent--something for everyone!

Gambit (1966): Another favorite Shirley MacLaine movie, this one also stars Michael Caine.

Garbo Talks (1984): Anne Bancroft was one of our finest actresses, and I'd watch her in almost anything. This film has a terrific supporting cast, including Carrie Fisher, Dorothy Loudon, Harvey Fierstein and Hermione Gingold.

The Gathering (1977): A great TV movie starring Ed Asner, Maureen Stapleton, Veronica Hamel and Gregory Harrison. I also liked the 1979 sequel, The Gathering, Part II.

Getting Away from It All (1972): One of my favorite TV movies about two city couples who move to the country, starring Larry Hagman, Barbara Feldon, Gary Collins and Vivian Vance.

Gilda Live (1979): It's Gilda Radner on the Broadway stage of the Winter Garden Theatre.

The Group (1966): Candice Bergen, Joan Hackett, Shirley Knight and Jessica Walter star in this soapy drama.

Harlow (1965): Carroll Baker plays Jean Harlow. Also starring Red Buttons, Angela Lansbury and Peter Lawford.

Harlow (1965): Another Harlow bio, this one stars Carol Lynley as the actress and Ginger Rogers as her mother.

Hear My Song (1992): An Irish romantic musical comedy/drama with a very nice soundtrack.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me (1993): A crazy comedy starring Adrienne Shelley, Sean Young and a hunky Max Parrish.

House of Dark Shadows (1970): A feature-length version of the TV show about that groovy vampire, Barnabas Collins.

Housekeeping (1988): I adore this film starring Christine Lahti in her best performance ever.

The Last Married Couple in America (1980): A light, fluffy sex farce starring George Segal, the lovely Natalie Wood and Valerie Harper.

The Love Machine (1971): The film version of Jacqueline Susann's sordid tale starring Dyan Cannon and John Phillip Law.

Love with the Proper Stranger (1963): Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen. Enough said.

Men Don't Leave (1990): A small gem starring Jessica Lange, Chris O'Donnell and the marvelous Joan Cusack.

Midnight Lace (1960): A Doris Day thriller with Rex Harrison, Roddy McDowall and Myrna Loy.

A New Leaf (1971): A very funny flick starring Walter Matthau and Elaine May.

Only When I Laugh (1981): A reader reminded me of this Neil Simon flick starring Marsha Mason, Kristy McNichol, James Coco and Joan Hackett.

The Oscar (1966): A campy cult classic featuring Elke Sommer, Milton Berle, Jill St. John, Edie Adams, Ernest Borgnine and the great crooner Tony Bennett in his only feature film role.

Paris Blues (1961): A terrific film starring Paul Newman and Sidney Poitier as two jazz musicians living in Paris and Joanne Woodward and Diahann Carroll as the women they love.

Perfect Gentlemen (1978): A TV-movie written by Nora Ephron and starring Lauren Bacall, Ruth Gordon and Sandy Dennis.

Reckless (1995): I saw the original play starring Joan Allen in Chicago many years ago and loved it--and I enjoyed this film version starring Mia Farrow, Mary-Louise Parker and Debra Monk.

A Severed Head (1970): A reader recommended this obscure comedy with an interesting cast--the lovely Lee Remick, Claire Bloom and Ian Holm.

Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (1975): With a great title like that, why isn't this movie on DVD? It stars Jeannie Berlin and Roy Scheider.

6 Rms Riv Vu (1974): A TV movie starring Alan Alda and Carol Burnett as two strangers who meet when they respond to a newspaper ad for an apartment.

Skidoo (1968): A cult classic with an all-star cast, including Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Mickey Rooney and Groucho Marx.

Some of My Best Friends Are... (1971): Christmas Eve in a Greenwich Village gay bar starring Fannie Flagg, Rue McClanahan, Candy Darling, Gil Gerard and Gary Sandy.

Stepping Out (1991): I liked the play that this film is based on, but I've never seen the movie version starring Liza Minnelli, Jane Krakowski, Bill Irwin, Ellen Greene, Julie Walters and Shelley Winters.

The Sterile Cuckoo (1969): One of Liza Minnelli's best performances.

Still of the Night (1982): Meryl Streep, Roy Scheider and Jessica Tandy make this suspenseful tale worth watching.

Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970): A recommendation from a reader, this film--directed by Otto Preminger--stars Liza Minnelli, Ken Howard, James Coco and Kay Thompson (from Funny Face).

Three in the Attic (1968): Three girls discover they have the same boyfriend and lock him up in the attic in this kinky '60s sex drama.

Those Lips, Those Eyes (1980): Frank Langella, Glynnis O'Connor, Tom Hulce, Jerry Stiller--the cast makes me want to see this flick.

Used People (1992): I love this warm, funny film starring Shirley MacLaine, Kathy Bates, Jessica Tandy and Marcia Gay Harden.

What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968): This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. It stars George Peppard and Mary Tyler Moore.

Welcome to L.A. (1976): Sissy Spacek vacuums in the nude in this movie, which also stars Keith Carradine, Sally Kellerman, Lauren Hutton, Geraldine Chaplin and Harvey Keitel.

Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? (1963): Another reader recommendation, this romantic comedy stars Dean Martin, Elizabeth Montgomery and Carol Burnett.

Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? (1978): I saw this fun George Segal/Jacqueline Bisset flick in the movie theater 30 years ago.

Wild Man Blues (1998): An interesting documentary about Woody Allen and his New Orleans jazz band on a European tour.

Willie & Phil (1980): Give me Michael Ontkean and Margot Kidder together in a film and I'll watch it.

You'll Like My Mother (1972): Patty Duke and Richard "John-Boy" Thomas star in this thriller.

You're a Big Boy Now (1966): A bizarre little film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Geraldine Page, Rip Torn, Julie Harris and Karen Black (her first major movie role).

17 comments:

Jon said...

i like 1970's "The Games." the backdrop is the rome olympics and the marathon. it follows 4 hunky, sweaty guys, all wearing little runners shorts and not much else. i saw it once on the late show when i was deciding that this little boy liked the other boys.

Deep Dish said...

I've never heard of "The Games". Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the recommendation, Jon!

Jon said...

it's all games in "The Games." i still can hear the seductive voice urging me to watch it. i think it starred a very young ryan o'neal.

StephenMosher said...

I LOVE this list! I love that there are so many movies on your list that are on mine. HOUSEKEEPING?! I didn't know anyone else knew this amazing film! I saw THE GROUP at the Film Forum last summer and Jessica Walter and Shirley Knight were there to give a talk after - what fun! I love them! Of course you know what a fan I am of GARBO TALKS... And I recently paid a small fortune to get vhs copies of COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME and THE STERILE CUCKOO since they refuse to release them on dvd. I watch my vhs of STEPPIN OUT all the time... and I have a really old copy of SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE that always shocks people.

You rule, so does your blog. Long may both reign!

Deep Dish said...

Thanks for your kind comments, Ste! You have fabulous taste in movies, mister. :)

And, Jon, anything with a very young Ryan O'Neal is something I want to watch.

Joe said...

I agree with many of your choices--especially COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME. Here are five from my list:

THE SON OF CAPTAIN BLOOD--Sean Flynn shirtless and a wonderfully fake climactic earthquake, but mainly Sean Flynn shirtless

CRACK IN THE WORLD--Dana Andrews as a mad scientist who breaks it then buys it, excellent special effects (for the sixties)

ENTERTAINING MR SLOANE--Dated adaptation of Joe Orton's scathing comedy, but made absolutely essential by tour-de-force performance by Beryl Reid and insouciantly homoerotic posturings by Peter McEnery

DREAMCHILD--Brilliant Dennis Potter screenplay about Lewis Carroll's relationship with the real Alice--with heart-wrenching lead performances by Ian Holm and Coral Browne--and Jim Henson's frightening puppetry

THE LONG DAY CLOSES--Touching montage film of a boy's coming of age in post-war Britain, with evocative period music from the 40s and 50s--with Debbie Reynolds' "Tammy" evoking preteen sexual yearning in the context of a strict parochial school

Deep Dish said...

Joe, I know DREAMCHILD was available on DVD a few years ago. It was combined with another somewhat obscure film, so you might still be able to buy it.

Anonymous said...

Besides Ryan O'Neal a young but furry Sam Elliott is also in this flick... it's been on the Fox Movie Channel!

Dale

Patrick Fetterman said...

I have a copy of Hear My Song. I bought the German DVD version - the only one ever released, I believe - and ripped it with the English-only soundtrack. It looks and sounds great. If you want a copy, I'm happy to send one. Email me with a mailing address and I'll send it along.

Deep Dish said...

Thanks, Patrick, that's so nice of you. Hopefully you'll get my Facebook message, since I don't have your email address.

omnipop = pop culture blog said...

Hey!

WOW! You have GRRREEATT taste in movies!

I've been wanting "Some Of My Best Friends Are", "The Group" & "The Love Machine" (and many more on your list) for YEARS!

Loving your blog! I have a pop culture blog and I just started a gay film blog but I apparently don't write as much as you do! :)

Keep it up!
Garrett
http://omnipopmusic.blogspot.com
http://lavenderscreen.blogspot.com

P.S. Your interview with Del Shores is GREAT! :)

Anonymous said...

Some great movies you have listed here. I'm searching for a few of them myself. I do have Finnegan Begin Again, an absolutely wonderful film. I recorded it on VHS from TV years ago, and I recently made a DVD copy. The Boyfriend was shown on one of our local TV channels just a few weeks ago. I recorded it, then watched it, but as I didn't think it was worthy of keeping I deleted it. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

Other titles worthy of being included are Sidney Shorr (1981, Tony Randall as a lonely gay man who finds temporary happiness bring up a child), The Sum of Us (1994, Russel Crowe as a gay man dealing with the illness of his father), The Object of My Affection (1998, Paul Rudd as a gay man who is roped into becoming the "father" of his "girlfriend's" unborn baby), and Bobbie's Girl (2002, Bernadette Peters and Richael Ward as a lesbian couple running a pub in Ireland who's lives are turned upside down when they "inherit" a young boy when his parents are killed in a car accident). All great "gay themed" movies with powerful and convincing performances. It took me years to find them and copy them to DVD.

callmekc said...

Marc, you can see SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD AND LIVING IN NEW YORK in its entirety on YouTube. Unfortunately it's from a TV airing in the 70s or 80s, and is edited. Amazon Unbox used to offer it as a download for $10, so Paramount apparently has a new master. It's a very good little movie!!

Deep Dish said...

Thanks for letting me know about Sheila on YouTube!

Anonymous said...

Other films that need to be released on DVD Where Love Has Gone(1964) this film has it all ,it's based on a Harold Robbins novel ,there's a showdown between Bette Davis and Susan Hayward as mother and daughter ,and campy dialouge. Once Is Not Enough (1975) This film also has it all as well,first of all it's a Jacqueline Suzann novel ,theres illict lesbian love , drug use,and such unforgettable dialouge as "he laid me and he fired me", Paramount needs to get these on dvd

Deep Dish said...

A friend gave me a copy of Where Love Has Gone last year - very enjoyable trash - and I'd love to see Once Is Not Enough again as well as The Love Machine.